Care / cleaning of alpaca clothing
Alpaca clothing and accessories are naturally strong and durable. Some of the more common issues with other fibers such as stains, pilling and static electricity are minimal and even virtually eliminated with proper care and maintenance. You’ll continue to enjoy the softness and value of your alpaca clothing through one fashion craze to the next by just following these simple instructions:
- Always check the label and follow the instructions to determine whether you should dry clean or hand wash your alpaca clothing.
- Refreshing alpaca clothing is quick and easy. Just turn on the shower and steam up the bathroom! The moisture in the air is all it takes to eliminate any wrinkles.
- You’ll want to avoid stretching your alpaca clothing by hanging sweaters over a padded hanger or folding and placing them in a drawer.
- Periodically brush your alpaca clothing with a lint brush. This will revive the nap and bring out the luster.
- Never use the dryer on any alpaca clothing.
Hand Washable Alpaca Clothing
The Alpaca Owners and Breeders Association (AOBA) have recommended the following instructionsfor any hand-washable apparel.
- Fill the sink with cold water and mild liquid detergent. Never use bleach.
- Soak the item for three to five minutes and gently squeeze the suds through the garment. Do not twist, wring or scrub. Do not agitate.
- Rinse the item twice in clean, cold water.
- Gently squeeze out excess water.
- Lay the garment between two towels, roll up the towels and let it rest for a few minutes.
- Lay the garment on a dry towel and place it in its original shape.
- Allow to dry away from sunlight and direct heat. Turn the item over when the top side is dry and allow the underside to dry. The garment can be lightly steamed with an iron using a press cloth for protection. Or…steam up that bathroom! Any wrinkles will melt away!
Storing Your Alpaca Apparel
The unique characteristics of the alpaca fiber not only keep you warm in the winter but cool in the summer. If you do need to store clothes for the change in seasons though, first follow the above tips on care and cleaning before storing to prevent moths and carpet larvae from damaging your alpaca clothing. Store all alpaca clothing in airtight containers with moth repellent. Your alpaca clothing will be ready when you are!
Alpaca Angel Acres is a proud member of the Alpaca Fiber Cooperative of North America.